Saying goodbye to Miller Elementary
A photo essay by Nathan Mahan


The Miller Elementary building in Cement City will be heated enough to keep water pipes from freezing next winter. It will also be used for storage until the district can find a use for it.



An organized pile of sports equipment sits in the middle of the gymnasium at Miller Elementary, ready to transported to the new campus.


Pencils, paper, shelves and books are being moved one carload at a time.


Some of the classrooms are being used as storage in the transition, while others remain empty.

A janitor moves through the empty halls of the old elementary school.


 

Waiting for the students
Sunlight shines in the windows at the elementary school building in Cement City, but nobody is there.



To see hundreds of photos NOT published in the Brooklyn Exponent, visit www.exponentphotos.com

7 comments:

  1. Very powerful!!! Thank you for sharing. Great message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's going to be sad when school starts up in the fall and Miller will be empty, no more kids running in the hallways and no teachers to tell the kids to set in there seats. That was the best school around and now its just memories.So the ones who went to that school PLEASE don't forget how great it was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am saddened and sickened that I can not walk my two children to there first day of kindergarten. That was a lot of the reason I bought a house in Cement City two years ago. I feel like I deserve some sort of refund for taxes I paid toward that school and compensation for the memory that will never be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of my children went to and completed their time at Miller Elementary. Mrs. B was a great leader and mentor to them. I am so greatful that we were a part of that amazing school and all the memories that go with it. I am glad that the teachers and Mr. B will be moving on to a new combined school within the district and I know this move will be difficult for some emotionally but it will bring the community together as one. In the future it will prove to be a good thing. I look forward to watching all the changes and great things that are store for the district now and with our new Board Members it can only get better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will miss Miller. I had 4 children go through there and my son's name was even on the principal award that hung in the office. It is not the school that makes the children it is the teachers, and the students that are being combined in the new elementary will do just as well as if they were in Miller. We have a great school district and we need to keep it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sad and to see the plans that have been laid out (especially the horrible parking lot plans...gasp!) for this school year at the new school make me scared what this year may hold for my son. I promised myself to be positive for his sake and we will give it our best shot but if things go south, I will be leaving the district which is sad since I really do love Columbia. :( I won't risk my son's education and happiness just to be loyal to the school I graduated from...sorry.

    ReplyDelete